Sunday 19 May 2013

A family run


My partner and I are both regular runners. We don’t train for marathons or follow iPhone app running programmes but we run to keep fit and we find it helps us deal with life’s little challenges better too.

In addition to our running habits, we also have three children aged seven, five and three. We have to fit our running in around them with me usually running before my partner leaves for work and him running home from the station most days. Today, we had a very successful park trip and my five year old and I managed a run too! I’m sharing it here in case it inspires any of you to find ways to take exercise that combine well with family life too.

Today, in my head, I’d planned to have a run after lunch. Hoping to create a new activity (and also take the pressure off my partner!) I asked my two eldest children if they’d like to come running with me. My five year old accepted and, while we were digging out trainers, my partner suggested that he and the others come too: they could play in the park and me and my 5yo, R, could run round it. Off we set, walking together while R and I warmed up. R and I peeled off after we’d crossed the road and started our run. She did really well! R ran fast for a couple of minutes, got worn out and then we walked briskly for another minute or so before running again. After one running/walking circuit, during which we’d jumped over the park speed humps, had a few races and some great mum-and-daughter time, she was a bit tired so we went looking for the others. We found them in a tree by the lake. R wanted to climb the tree too so I left her there with her dad and siblings and did another continuous, grown-up circuit on my own before coming back to see how they were all getting on. This child-led interval training continued with me running alone, visiting the tree-climbing delegation for a hug and a giggle and collecting and dropping off R. Finally we headed for home, calling in at the playground en route.

So, all in all, a very successful afternoon. I got my run but not at the expense of a family trip out and I had loads of fun with my middle daughter too!  My partner and I plan to do this again but with him in his trainers too so he can have his run as well. I hope to persuade my seven year old to do a lap next time too!

2 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this. One of the things I'm planning to do this summer is get my oldest a pedal bike and pass the balance bike onto my youngest. I'm hoping that I can then run while they pedal/scoot.

    I find it's pretty easy to get the kids out and playing actively, but harder to incorporate reasonable exercise for me into the activity. Hopefully in another couple of years I'll be following your fine example!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading this one, Sarah, and I agree about active outdoor play. Our afternoon running (and tree climbing) in the park wasn't really planned - more serendipity really!

      Delete